By Russell G. Schuh
A Grammar of Miya describes a language of the Chadic kinfolk spoken in Northern Nigeria. this is often the 1st documentation of Miya other than note lists. The grammar describes all features of the language. Of specific typological curiosity are the tone procedure, a "terraced point" process within which tone operates over multi-syllabic domain names, and observe order, that is VXS in lots of contexts.
Read or Download A Grammar of Miya (University of California Publications in Linguistics) PDF
Best grammar books
The essays accrued during this quantity, such a lot formerly unpublished, deal with a couple of heavily interconnected matters raised by means of the comparative syntax of practical heads in the Principles-and-Parameters procedure. the overall concept of head flow, the houses of derived constructions created through incorporation, and the parameterization concerned are the most theoretical foci.
Language clients are creatures of behavior with a bent to re-use morphosyntactic fabric that they have got produced or heard earlier than. In different phrases, linguistic styles and tokens, as soon as used, persist in discourse. the current ebook is the 1st large-scale corpus research to discover the determinants of this patience, drawing on regression analyses of a number of useful, discourse-functional, cognitive, psycholinguistic, and exterior elements.
English Language and its utilization became super emotive matters in fresh years. routine discussions within the media have highlighted a becoming call for for a go back to the research of language after a long time of forget. An creation to English Grammar is one of many winning grammars at the linguistics checklist with the 1st version promoting tremendous good.
The purpose of the amount is to bridge the 'cultural hole' among sociolinguistics and theoretical linguistics within the research of edition. a number of the contributions search to mix corpus-based and competence-based techniques. They rfile the plurality of present learn into types of grammatical competence that dwell as much as the problem of variationist information.
- Lexikon und Grammatik in Interaktion: Lexikalische Kategorisierungsprozesse im Deutschen
- Conceptualizations and Mental Processing in Language
- Dire, ne pas dire : Du bon usage de la langue française
- Painless Grammar (Barron's Painless Series)
- Cognitive Linguistics Investigations: Across Languages, Fields And Philosophical Boundaries (Human Cognitive Processing)
- Montague Grammar
Additional info for A Grammar of Miya (University of California Publications in Linguistics)
E. the syllable IS pronounced on a single tone. Miya has no I *kiibns" [ contour • 1 *tones 'b ':b TONE LEVELNG thus prevents pronunciations such as _, - or a ,r ,r [- '. 1 whi h ld h ' . 9 -, C wou ot erwlse be predicted by the associatl'on patt . b .. ern gIven a ove. 8Verbs of the "H H" an d "H L" classes comprise two furth 1 I . H-X tone patterns (4'§§12 3 2 3) H H b I e r arge c asses of words descnbed as having • . - . ver c ass gerunds (4'§2 2 1) h . a H-H nouns e g b'tak" ' t ' , • d' .
With the initial domain of gooroo, but for consistent treatment of J.. 1) have a floating L. Compare the phonetic forms of the following Hortative and Imperative verbs with the Toneless and H objects, zhaaka 'donkey' and mid, 'castrated goat' respectIvely: Sg. Imper. 57 l ___ --l The derivation of g6oroo 'kola' reverses the H-L citation pattern to give L_H,2I thus removing the potential environment for LOW RAISING of the next low syllable, kim. The tone kiln would not have been affected by a preceding L in any case.
2. Tone marking system. Rather than providing each syllable with a tone mark, as is the normal practice in Chadic linguistics aud much otber work in African languages, I use an adaptation of a system of tone marking wbicb dates to at least Cbristaller (1875, 1933) (cf. g. Lukas (1937) for Kanuri. In tbe United States it bas been used at least by Welmers and Welmers (l968a, 1968b) for Igbo. In tbis tone marking system, only the first tone of a tonal domain receives a diacritic, witb tbe next diacritic indicating a change in tone.
A Grammar of Miya (University of California Publications in Linguistics) by Russell G. Schuh