By Elizabeth Pearce
This publication describes the Unua language of Malakula, Vanuatu. The island of Malakula is understood to have, or to have had, a complete of approximately forty detailed languages of which fewer than part were defined. The seven hundred or so audio system of Unua also are fluent audio system of Bislama and the domain names of use for Unua have gotten extra constrained. Unua is hence endangered and the documentation of the language in its current shape is especially well timed.
Read Online or Download A Grammar of Unua PDF
Best grammar books
The essays accumulated during this quantity, so much formerly unpublished, tackle a couple of heavily interconnected matters raised by means of the comparative syntax of practical heads in the Principles-and-Parameters method. the final idea of head circulation, the houses of derived buildings created via incorporation, and the parameterization concerned are the most theoretical foci.
Language clients are creatures of behavior with a bent to re-use morphosyntactic fabric that they've produced or heard prior to. In different phrases, linguistic styles and tokens, as soon as used, persist in discourse. the current e-book is the 1st large-scale corpus research to discover the determinants of this endurance, drawing on regression analyses of a number of practical, discourse-functional, cognitive, psycholinguistic, and exterior components.
English Language and its utilization became tremendous emotive concerns in contemporary years. habitual discussions within the media have highlighted a growing to be call for for a go back to the learn of language after many years of overlook. An advent to English Grammar is among the many profitable grammars at the linguistics checklist with the 1st version promoting tremendous good.
The purpose of the amount is to bridge the 'cultural hole' among sociolinguistics and theoretical linguistics within the examine of version. a few of the contributions search to mix corpus-based and competence-based methods. They rfile the plurality of present examine into types of grammatical competence that dwell as much as the problem of variationist information.
- Grammar of the Sindhi language, compared with the Sanskrit-Prakrit and the cognate Indian vernaculars
- The Unaccusativity Puzzle: Explorations of the Syntax-Lexicon Interface (Oxford Studies in Theoretical Linguistics)
- Number (Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics)
- Grammar Rules!: For Students, Parents, & Teachers : A Straightforward Approach to Basic English Grammar and Writing Skills
Additional info for A Grammar of Unua
4. Stress placement Stress in Unua is not strongly contrastive and it is difficult to distinguish between primary and secondary stress on words of more than two syllables. The observations made about stress placement in this section should be regarded as preliminary. I have not as yet undertaken an analysis of stress placement in sentences and, whilst words elicited in isolation tend to have penultimate stress, it is not clear to me to what extent this stress placement (particularly in words of more than two syllables) is induced as a list reading /reciting pattern.
I would also like to thank Miriam Meyerhoff and Dorothy Jauncey for helpful discussion and advice before I went on my first field trip to Vanuatu. I have also been assisted by members of the Vanuatu Cultural Centre in Port Vila and the Malakula Cultural Centre at Lakatoro and, for their help in facilitating my visits, I would like to thank: Ralph Regenvanu, Joel Simo, Numa Fred and Marshall Hoke. I am also grateful to Ross Webb, Director of SIL, Vila, for assistance in facilitating the computer entry of a portion of the Unua New Testament.
Up to the present time (mid 2014) he has completed his translations of the four gospels and is part way through Acts. Prior to beginning work on the New Testament he had completed the translation into Unua of 154 hymns. He is also the author of stories written in Unua and preserved in typed format in a booklet, dating from the time that he attended secondary school in Aulua in the 1950s. 7 He also created the lyrics for songs in Unua that I recorded with a Ruxbo-based string band, Nemen Sangavur nen Netes (The Ten Seagulls).
A Grammar of Unua by Elizabeth Pearce